Pioneer Henry E. Noble - Alva, OK
Remember the first hardware business in Alva, Oklahoma? According to A Standard History of Oklahoma, pg. 1523, by Joseph Thoburn, we have found out a little bit more of Noble's Hardware business and about H. "Henry" E. Noble.
Henry E. Noble was a representative business man, popular citizen, cashier of the Central State Bank, and was well known figure in financial circles in the northwest section of the state. He served as a member of the city council during the first four years after the municipal government was carried forward under the city charter.
In 1878 Edmond B. Noble contracted second marriage, when he wedded Mrs. Betsie J. Hoyt, and the two children of this union, Rena and Walter, survived their father, as did also their mother.
Henry E. Noble was indebted to the public schools of his native village for his early educational training, which was effectively supplemented by a course in the Worthington Business College, at Madison, the capital city of Wisconsin. It was in this institution he graduated in 1875 and while attending the same he employed his otherwise leisure hours by serving an apprenticeship to the tinner's trade, which he thereafter followed, as a journeyman, for two years, in the State of Iowa. He then went to Auburn, New York, where he assumed the position of bookkeeper in the mill machinery manufacturing establishment of his uncle, Gardiner E. Throop.
After retaining this incumbency two years he returned to the West, in 1880, in which year he became bookkeeper for an agricultural implement establishment at Winfield, Kansas, where he remained engaged for a period of five years. In 1885 he moved to Medicine Lodge, where he engaged in the hardware and implement business in an independent way and continued his operations in this line until he found better opportunities, incidental to the opening to settlement of the Cherokee Strip in Oklahoma Territory, in 1893.
As a pioneer of Alva, he opened the first hardware store in the new town, on the West side of the downtown square. You can still read the name of H. E. Noble Hardware on the building today. Henry Noble retired from the hardware and farm implement business in 1912, and in the following year he became associated with G. A. Harbaugh, Thomas G. Fennessey and others in the organization of the Central State Bank of Alva, of which he had been cashier. Through his straightforward and careful executive policies this bank had become one of the stable and popular financial institutions of Northern Oklahoma, with deposits somewhat in excess of $320,000 at the opening of the year 1915.
Henry E. Noble became a member of Alva's first municipal council, and of this position he continued the incumbent four years. Besides his banking association, he was exclusive agent for the Buick automobiles in Woods County, Oklahoma. He completed the circle of York Rite Masonry, and attained to the 32nd degree in the Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite.
It was on January 15, 1882, at Montezuma, Iowa, that Henry E. Noble married Miss Ida A. Norris, who was born in Ohio, on January 24, 1858, who was a popular figure in the social activities of her home community, besides being a zealous member of the Christian church. Henry and Ida Noble had three children:
Add your two-cents (BACK TO FULL ISSUE)
Create Your Badge